Thursday, December 13, 2007

It was..

It was a beautiful campus.

The trees whispered here….they even hummed if you listened closely. You could see the sunshine, as it gracefully stepped on the roads, glittered on the shimmering leaves .At night the moonlight danced on the grass , making the dewdrops shine silver.The air was scented….shiuli , dolanchampa , chhatim ,depending on the season. The roads were painted…..yellow with fallen leaves, red with krihnachura petals and the road to school white with bird droppings.

It was a known campus.

Summers were very hot….printed frocks,afternoon naps that you were forced to take, talcum powder blotches on your neck , watermelon slices and tall glasses of squash.Winters were very cold…. thamma’s sweaters,chattering teeth, smell of mustard oil,ponds,and boroline.Mornings of racing to school on cycles, pretending they were horses. Afternoons of hopscotch, choachuyi , chuburi or reading Enid Bytons traded with friends. Often kittens were found in cupboards, and were fed with dropers. Sometimes you crawled across gardens and picked up ladybugs and keeping them as pets in matchboxes. Evenings of homework and sometimes if you finished early Chitrahar or Om namah shiva.

It was a small campus.

Small,with lots of kakus and kakimas. Small,with one little market .With shopkeepers who knew us by names, and occasionally gave mangobites for free. Small, with reasonless get-togethers. With tiffin boxes being sent over, filled with macherchop or pudding or shemai er payesh and ma making sure that they weren’t sent back empty. Small, with friends coming over to visit if you were down with fever.And mashi’s putting on band-aids if you bruised yourself in the park. Small, with kids riding tricycles on the roads or pulling little toy wagons .Young boys in half pants running with kites or little girls with braids plucking dandelions.


I live in a big city now.


Fast cars, fast life, fast people.A city with malls and multiplexes.A city with pocketmoney and cellphones. A city with tall houses,wide roads and flyovers.A city with parties and KFC’s.

It is a big city…it taught me to survive…. I like it.


It was a small campus…it taught me to live……I loved it.

8 comments:

dilettante said...

a nice one....best one was tr8ing bicycle as horses!!!

Mr. Banerjee said...

nostalgia be thy name. pretty. very.

but the question remains, as you look back 10 years down the line when you're a satisfied woman content with a kid or two and a upper middle class suburban life, you'll wonder
have i *lived* the life so far or am i just *surviving* it?

the moment will come. to me, you and all of us. one day. just like that.

SIDDHARTHA said...

Small...known .. yet beautiful.. imagery throughout has been created vividly.. the nostalgia.. the fragrance .. the people...everything was small..yet so close to ur heart...
Good things come in small sizes,as they say...
it is as life moves on... and u have to accept many things which by chance tend to be the daily dose... yet u always crave to be somewhere where there are
known people not strangers..
known roads.. not a maze.....
soothing music.. not a noise....
and the evening Chitrahaars...
not the big multiplexes.......
Very well expressed.... carry on my dear!!!!!

Phoenix speaks.... said...

@dilettante.. so you remenber that pretending too?? :)

@stanley .. I just hope that 10 years down I'll be able to say that I am living life..and surviving too..

@sidd..Thank you for understanding so clearly.. :)

the steadfast illusion said...

lets see.....i have never known how is it like to live in a small town....i would never know since i have"survived" too in this world of polluted air with little love....or pure hatred......i have never had an experience of sharing with my friends.....everything from my tiffin to my mom......it was i guess..a little cold....considering how fast we had to move....day after day....but the slumber.....the charm...of roads lined with leaves.....and the time to live in their midst and enjoy their presence was never appropriated by such a trite life....hence it is that much more appealing and ...and enhances my love for that small country i long to find peace in....with small noise....small people with small egos.....small expectations....and small me not trying to be big......

i find this piece an amzing effort....and believe me.....i would give anything to read a book written by this lady.....
carry on my friend.....

Rohit Nag said...

nicely ritten... making me smile... making me miss home... making me feel i am so far away.

Shion Guha said...

I like the jungle. I cannot live without the jungle. I love urban dystopian fantasies.

I love the polluted air.

Unknown said...

Very well written, beautiful imagery...
Brings back fond memories of our childhood- of the fun we had in our 'small' and 'known' campus.I can associate myself so well with "keeping ladybirds as pets in matchboxes", "evenings of homework and sometimes if you finished early 'Chitrahar' or 'Om namah shiva'", "mashi's putting on band aids if you bruised yourself in the park"...
Now its my turn to leave our 'known' campus and walk towards the 'unknown'...
Keep writing Amandidi.
(Sorry for being SO late in posting a comment)